PDA

View Full Version : help! How to delete .dll files

teaser
10-25-2002, 09:21 PM
I installed a program...when I uninstalled it, its folder (containing 1 .dll file) isn't deleted from the Programs Folder (C:Programs Files). I manually delete this folder, but it wouldn't let me...because there's a .dll file (a system file) in that folder. I know this file can be deleted without affecting anything. This .dll file allows the program (which I uninstalled) to integrate into my Internet Explorer.

Does any know how I can delete it? I even used Norton file removing option to delete stuff permanently, and it wouldn't let Norton delete it. Please help. Don't tell me that we're at a point where computers are dictating what we can and cannot do now.

Thanks

ring_ruler
10-26-2002, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by teaser
....This .dll file allows the program (which I uninstalled) to integrate into my Internet Explorer.
....Don't tell me that we're at a point where computers are dictating what we can and cannot do now.

Thanks

Looks like it's getting to that now....:D

Back to the problem.....because it integrated into IE, you can't delete it in Windows, imho. Try booting to DOS (real mode) and delete it. Back it up if you want.

azntagger
10-26-2002, 02:20 AM
boot it from DOS, use start up disc...locate ur *.dll file...
use this command..
cd (to change to the directory you want) ex:
c:\cd windows (to change to windows dir..
attrib (to view hidden files or system file)
del (to delete) /h/s (switches for hidden and system files..
del *.dll (dll name) /h/s
hope it works for u..

ColdWind
10-26-2002, 01:09 PM
do NOT try to delete DLL file unless U know what u're doing.

Always make a backup copy in case some other program needs it.

Saigonian
10-27-2002, 01:46 AM
DLL are library that get register in the system. It is very dangerous to deleted it for it can mess up your system. The best way is to unregister it, if something is wrong, then re-register the dll again. Here is how how do it

Go to DOS command window:

For register type:

regsvr32 C:\PathTo_DLL_Directory\DLLFileName.dll

to unregister, type

regsvr32 -u C:PathTo_DLL_Directory\DLLFileName.dll

yeudoi
10-27-2002, 02:02 AM
Boot to save mode. Then delete it.

IntellAlien
10-27-2002, 04:03 PM
I better not touch .dll file or registry file if you don't know it :15: why you care so much about it. I doesn't harm your system or take alot memory :15:

ring_ruler
10-27-2002, 10:39 PM
The .dll is not a problem but I think teaser wants to delete the folder ;)

thuongnguoi
10-27-2002, 10:56 PM
check your services or program that still run for that apps. use task manager to check it out. and make sure that the file is not lock/read only, if u found it, just make a copy of it, and then deleted.

teaser
10-27-2002, 11:34 PM
Sorry to be so vague guys. I'll be more specific. I tried to install Godzilla. And when I uninstall it...the Godzilla folder (which contains .dll) is still left in the program folder. I want to delete it because I hate it when Godzilla doesn't work. So...I don't wanna see it in my program folder...but...it didn't let me delete it.

So...is it safe to delete it (the folder and the .dll file)????

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. How do you guys know so much about computer...especially DOS stuff? I'm clueless.

thuongnguoi
10-28-2002, 12:15 AM
yes, go ahead and deleted

teaser
10-28-2002, 02:24 AM
Sorry to bother again...I have a relating question. What is registry and how do I delete it?

IntellAlien
10-28-2002, 03:29 AM
You don't know about it. My recomended is not delete it :15:

thuongnguoi
10-29-2002, 07:44 PM
go to regedit and search for GoZ!lla and then delete them, after that u can delete GoZilla folder. I have done it this morning on my pc

The Rock
10-29-2002, 10:22 PM
I agree with Saigonian. Don't mess with dll files, as they could be instructed (within the registry) to load. If you absolutely must get rid of it then use the regsvr32 program with the -u option to unload the dll.

thuongnguoi
10-29-2002, 10:25 PM
the goz!lla dll can't delete is because it load in the CLISD that why u can't delete, just search for that key and then delete is should be fine.